Active Transportation Plan
The City has received a grant from C/CAG to prepare a pedestrian and bicycle master plan for Millbrae. The purpose of the plan is to:
- Assess the needs of pedestrians and cyclists in Millbrae;
- Identify improvements to infrastructure and programs;
- Ensure eligibility to certain transportation funding sources; and
- Coordinate pedestrian and bicycle local actions and regional projects.
In order for an active transportation plan to qualify for funds to produce the plan, it must include several components, including:
- The estimated number of existing bicycle trips and pedestrian trips in the plan area, both in absolute numbers and as a percentage of all trips, and the estimated increase in the number of bicycle trips and pedestrian trips resulting from implementation of the plan.
- The number and location of collisions, serious injuries, and fatalities suffered by bicyclists and pedestrians in the plan area, both in absolute numbers and as a percentage of all collisions and injuries, and a goal for collision, serious injury, and fatality reduction after implementation of the plan.
- A map and description of existing and proposed bicycle transportation facilities, including a description of bicycle facilities that serve public and private schools and, if appropriate, a description of how the five Es (Education, Encouragement, Enforcement, Engineering, and Evaluation) will be used to increase rates of bicycling to school.
- A description of the policies and procedures for maintaining existing and proposed bicycle and pedestrian facilities, including, but not limited to, the maintenance of smooth pavement, ADA level surfaces, freedom from encroaching vegetation, maintenance of traffic control devices including striping and other pavement markings, and lighting.
For more information on the requirements of active transportation plans in California, check out the program guidelines (PDF).
The active transportation plan process will be conducted along with the General Plan Update and PDA Specific Plan Process to ensure consistency between all three documents.